Skip to main content

Me Made May #7: Week Three is Free!

Sunday: (no IG post) Homemade PJs
Yeah, I failed.  Oh well.  I was putting way too much pressure on myself and this was the cost.

Monday:  Seamwork Hayden top


Tuesday:  See Kate Sew Peplum top
See past post for picture.

Wednesday:  Sewaholic Rue Skirt and Pendrell Top

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Thursday:  Sewaholic Pendrell Top, ruffled sleeve version

Friday: (No IG post)  Just wore the friendship bracelet

Saturday:  T-Shirt Diy Tank Top

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Reflection:  This is where things began to repeat and I realized what were my wardrobe staples.  I like clean, simple and easy to wear.  I seem to have a retro inspired thing, but like I said in my last post, my issue is accessories.  I just got a book by Lisa Comfort called Sew Over It, and it has some accessory ideas that I actually really liked them.
I also got even more fatigued this week and just could not feel inspired for a bit.  I went to a Cabi party and that helped.  Part of a Cabi party is meeting with a stylist and seeing the trends, and I was able to think about how to present myself the way I want.  In Cabi clothes, they do little details on the clothes that make them a little more interesting to look at, so I'm going to try and fold that idea into my own clothes.  Like really putting some cute things into my clothes, with either fabric choices or embroidered details.  It'll take more time, but I'm ok with that to really like my clothes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Me Made May #10: What Went Right, What Went Wrong

What Went Right: I wore handmade clothing 26/31 days in May!  I wore the first dress and first button down I ever made.  I didn't repeat too many outfits, which is big for me in general.  I think this month of focusing on what I was wearing and what it looked like helped me define my style in a far more sophisticated way.  I don't think I would have ever called anything about myself sophisticated, but there you have it.  I think it inspired me to push for more fashion risks, which is another sentence I thought I would never say. I made more clothing this month than throughout the rest of this year.  It took me MONTHS to make a dress, and within May I made a skirt, a top, redid a sweater and a t-shirt and finished a knit sweater vest.  Now, when I look at this, it does not look prolific, but when you think about how much work I was doing at school and how busy spring weekends can be, I'm pretty happy with it.  And I'm hoping that inspiration will push into June and Jul

Too Many Interests

There's a saying:  Jack of all trades, master of none.  Which is how I feel more than 90% of the time.  I can do a handful of things fairly well, but I can't do any particular trade particularly well.   What you will see in this blog is a smattering of what I like as well as some family stories mixed in.  This list includes but is not limited to: Drawing Painting Animating Music Sewing Embroidering Crafting Needle felting Knitting Crochet Croquet Food Eating Building Breaking Teaching Dog walking You know, usual stuff.  Tutorials mixed in, one hopes, as well as completed projects.   I can't promise much outside this, but I'll try to amuse you like a sewing, dancing Schnauzer puppy.  Like my Schnauzer puppy.  He amuses me. I might also complain about messing projects up.  That's likely too. No matter what, I'm going to enjoy myself and I hope you do too.