Skip to main content

Inktober Update #1


So we are just about halfway through this spooky month of October, and of the drawing month of Inktober.  I am a doodler by nature and an animator by training.  However, while many who are gainfully employed will agree, it is difficult to continue to create things on the side.  And yet, here we are on a crafting blog.  Which implies that I must create stuff.  But it has been hard to carve out the necessary time to create something worth sharing.  I haven't even sewn in about a month. 

That's where Inktober comes in.  I was inspired by my animation bros and stuck with the puppy Halloween costume theme, where I draw images of my dog in various guises.  What I like about it is it makes me happy.  The drawings are ridiculous and freeing in their constraints.  It's always the same subject, but different scenarios.  Drawing is something I love to do, and I am finally giving myself the time to do it. 

The second weekend in October, my sister and I went to Alternative Press Expo, or APE, which is an independent comic convention that I've been to a few times in the past.  My goal is to sometime table there and make something worth selling.  My goal with Inktober became unlocking something good enough to show, and I feel like I may have a plan with these drawings.

But wait, there's more:  I have been inspired to make more stuff.  I started needle felting again and cutting out a new shirt pattern.  And writing this among other things. 

So I recommend find a challenge and run with it.  And be ok if you miss a few days, lord knows I did.

Check out the posts here:
http://nestingdollsofscience.tumblr.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep. Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent...