Skip to main content

Me Made May Preamble 2019


So I’ve done Me Made May for a few years.  Last year, I even did Me Made Maternity thanks to some stuff my mom made for me as well as some pieces that transitioned with my changing body.  And once again, your girl’s body has changed.  Really my life has changed.  A lot.  I’m now the mother of a 7 (almost 8) month old baby, which means making stuff has taken even more of a backseat than before, if you can believe it.  All of the handmade clothes I have were made and have been seen on this blog before, which makes the whole reveal of Me Made May kind of useless to me.  I mean, some I am styling differently, but honestly I don’t feel like I need to post the stuff because it’s been seen.  And I think Me Made May is supposed to be one of those inspirational things, to inspire you to wear your homemade clothes and that’s great.  Frankly, I already rock my handmade clothes a lot because they’re the stuff that fits.  So…I had a thought.

So for me, I think this month should be kind of renamed Me MAKES May.  Like for me it’s less about the outfits I wear, and just trying to make something.  Frankly, anything.  I have a baby, a husband, a full time job.  If anything gets made, this month was a win.  If nothing gets made, I’ll use this month to plan stuff for the summer.  This first post is going to be kind of the planning and inspiration post.
Personal Style
So let’s start with my personal style definition.  I decided to kind of call my style “Quirky Scandinavian Garden.”  Garden, because I love flowy and loose garments and floral prints.  Scandinavian for the simplicity of silhouette I go for, and I do tend to wear darker colors.  Which is usually in florals as well.  The quirky because I love my nerdy touches to my outfit, plus my colored hair gives me the quirk. 


So whatever I make, I want it to fit into this personal style.  The question is, what should I make. 

Needs and Wants
What I have plenty of:  skirts.  Honestly, I’m good in that front.  Pants I’m good with as well. 


What I could use more of, but I don’t need:  Dresses, overalls and shirts.  I have a lot, but  I’ve recently started trying out maxi dresses, and it may be fun to make one for myself.  Also, I love the Hayden top from Seamwork and I already have like 4, but it’s become kind of my uniform and I’m not mad at it.  And I have a pattern from Tilly and the Buttons for Dungarees (aka overalls) that may be fun to try.  Also jumpsuits.  As a mom, one piece outfits that you can kind of move easily in are also fantasic.
I can always use more.

What I need:  I have this adorable peplum top that I absolutely love that has sprung a couple of leaks.  I need to clone it so bad because I refuse to lose that top.  I think what it comes down to is I need to make a pattern from it, find the fabric and sew it on up. 

So I think step the next will be two parts:  figure out how to clone the shirt and go through my existing patterns.  So, that will be my next post.  I’m thinking this will be weekly like last year, and the plus is that I can type with a baby in my arms somewhat easily.  How do I know?  It just happened. 

See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.