Skip to main content

Me Made May Preamble 2019


So I’ve done Me Made May for a few years.  Last year, I even did Me Made Maternity thanks to some stuff my mom made for me as well as some pieces that transitioned with my changing body.  And once again, your girl’s body has changed.  Really my life has changed.  A lot.  I’m now the mother of a 7 (almost 8) month old baby, which means making stuff has taken even more of a backseat than before, if you can believe it.  All of the handmade clothes I have were made and have been seen on this blog before, which makes the whole reveal of Me Made May kind of useless to me.  I mean, some I am styling differently, but honestly I don’t feel like I need to post the stuff because it’s been seen.  And I think Me Made May is supposed to be one of those inspirational things, to inspire you to wear your homemade clothes and that’s great.  Frankly, I already rock my handmade clothes a lot because they’re the stuff that fits.  So…I had a thought.

So for me, I think this month should be kind of renamed Me MAKES May.  Like for me it’s less about the outfits I wear, and just trying to make something.  Frankly, anything.  I have a baby, a husband, a full time job.  If anything gets made, this month was a win.  If nothing gets made, I’ll use this month to plan stuff for the summer.  This first post is going to be kind of the planning and inspiration post.
Personal Style
So let’s start with my personal style definition.  I decided to kind of call my style “Quirky Scandinavian Garden.”  Garden, because I love flowy and loose garments and floral prints.  Scandinavian for the simplicity of silhouette I go for, and I do tend to wear darker colors.  Which is usually in florals as well.  The quirky because I love my nerdy touches to my outfit, plus my colored hair gives me the quirk. 


So whatever I make, I want it to fit into this personal style.  The question is, what should I make. 

Needs and Wants
What I have plenty of:  skirts.  Honestly, I’m good in that front.  Pants I’m good with as well. 


What I could use more of, but I don’t need:  Dresses, overalls and shirts.  I have a lot, but  I’ve recently started trying out maxi dresses, and it may be fun to make one for myself.  Also, I love the Hayden top from Seamwork and I already have like 4, but it’s become kind of my uniform and I’m not mad at it.  And I have a pattern from Tilly and the Buttons for Dungarees (aka overalls) that may be fun to try.  Also jumpsuits.  As a mom, one piece outfits that you can kind of move easily in are also fantasic.
I can always use more.

What I need:  I have this adorable peplum top that I absolutely love that has sprung a couple of leaks.  I need to clone it so bad because I refuse to lose that top.  I think what it comes down to is I need to make a pattern from it, find the fabric and sew it on up. 

So I think step the next will be two parts:  figure out how to clone the shirt and go through my existing patterns.  So, that will be my next post.  I’m thinking this will be weekly like last year, and the plus is that I can type with a baby in my arms somewhat easily.  How do I know?  It just happened. 

See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep. Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...