Skip to main content

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns


Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.   I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.  HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.  The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.  Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.  Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate. 

  1. It's got bust darts.
  2. It's got gathers on the bottom.

I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea. 


The first thing I did was call my mom.  Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.  I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.  The plan was to find possibly a good dupe pattern and use that to figure out the issues with gather and darts, or just to use altogether.  At this point, I was skeptical.   Even though peplums are kind of ubiquitous with ladies trying to hid tummy issues (I've had a baby, and my body came back, but it brought a friend) that I haven't seen a lot of peplum tops.  I do have one I've done in the past, but it was knit.  So I decided to see if I could find anything that might work.

Guys.  I hit a jackpot. 

Turns out, this green living magazine called Peppermint has a database of FREE patterns, and one just so happens to be almost an exact copy of my top.  There are a few differences, and frankly their sizes are really limited, but there it is!  Now, after I looked through the shirt pattern, I noticed that they had another link to even more patterns.  They have an adorable romper with tie shoulders which I feel like would be a fun alternative to short-alls. 

I did not think it would be this easy.  I really didn't.  Next step is to cut out the pattern and do the whole sizing thing and find fabric, which I'm also going to do with my mom. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.