Skip to main content

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep.

Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent who works full time, I find it too challenging to make too many big habit changes for my family. Stuff that we can do need to be agreed on by all of us, including the baby. And trying to say to the baby "Girl, this is for your environment" as I wash more reusable stuff ain't going to cut it. So I decided one way we can do this is clothing. 

To say we're not fashion focused is an understatement. I love watching Project Runway as vicarious sewing and just today my husband was saying "Why are the judges so mean?  They worked really hard on their stuff.". To which I respond FASHUN. Anyway, sustainable lifestyles can be built best from things you can already do and things you love to do. And I like seeing. So...

SWEEPING STATEMENT I WILL REGRET.

I won't buy fast fashion firsthand clothes in 2020. 
(Except for undergarments and socks.)

Whelp, that will be fun...

And to keep myself honest, I'm going to document this. Ho boy. 

My first step will be to evaluate what I need in my wardrobe, because she was feeling a bit constipated recently. Last year before Me Made May, I defined my style as Quirky Scandinavian Garden, which definitely helps me out a lot in terms of thinking about what I need and what needs to go. The next step is to do some research about sustainable clothing. So what that means is not just sewing, but sustainable sewing. And sustaining that practice. I need to stop with the wordplay but you get it. 

Another sweeping statement: weekly posts. I think Saturday sounds good for getting things out there, so we're going to go with that. Heh.  I just want to do the right thing, and I hope so does the rest of the world. Here's to 2020 and learning something new. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.