Skip to main content

Me Made May 5: Week 1 is Done

Here's the good news for Me Made May: It's flippin' hot here.  High 80's (F) all the way.  Also, I am a teacher, which means while shorts would feel so good, I don't feel like that is appropriate to wear in the classroom.  Even a skirt above my knees feels a bit much for me.  And it is hard to find a skirt below my knees because I am rather tall for a woman.  Another challenge is, as a science teacher, most of my day is spent running around and climbing on counters.  That means I need something to let me stay cool and look professional and be able to climb on counters.   Skirts for the temperature and bike shorts for the climbing, so it all works out.

Sunday will be on the next post.  I'm still in (homemade) pjs.

Monday:  Peplum Shirt from See Kate Sew

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Tuesday: Rae skirt from Sewaholic


Wednesday:  Sewaholic Princess Seam Top and Simplicity Retro Skirt
My first skirt! And my favorite top!

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Thursday:  Sorbetto Top from Colette Patterns and Simplicity Skirt made by Mom, also Modified SF shirt
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Friday:  Modified Old Navy Top
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Saturday:  Dahlia dress from Colette
I think this is my most proud moment of the week.  This is the first dress I ever made.  My mom did the hem and neckline (ran out of time, honestly) and I got so many compliments.  Huge success!
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Reflections:  I feel like I need to up my accessory game.  I like my outfits, but they're pretty basic.  I think if I could find a necklace I actually want to wear, that would really bring these together.  Or something to put in my hair.  What I'm thinking is my mom and grandma used to wear necklaces made of beads wrapped in bandannas or scrap fabric.  I think this might be the way to go for me.  Not blingy, I can make the beads any size and it's interchangeable with different scarves or fabric.  I just am such a pragmatic person that I'm completely function over form, so I need to find more joy in it and show that joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.

Me Made May #10: What Went Right, What Went Wrong

What Went Right: I wore handmade clothing 26/31 days in May!  I wore the first dress and first button down I ever made.  I didn't repeat too many outfits, which is big for me in general.  I think this month of focusing on what I was wearing and what it looked like helped me define my style in a far more sophisticated way.  I don't think I would have ever called anything about myself sophisticated, but there you have it.  I think it inspired me to push for more fashion risks, which is another sentence I thought I would never say. I made more clothing this month than throughout the rest of this year.  It took me MONTHS to make a dress, and within May I made a skirt, a top, redid a sweater and a t-shirt and finished a knit sweater vest.  Now, when I look at this, it does not look prolific, but when you think about how much work I was doing at school and how busy spring weekends can be, I'm pretty happy with it.  And I'm hoping that inspiration will push into June and Jul