Skip to main content

Me Made May 5: Week 1 is Done

Here's the good news for Me Made May: It's flippin' hot here.  High 80's (F) all the way.  Also, I am a teacher, which means while shorts would feel so good, I don't feel like that is appropriate to wear in the classroom.  Even a skirt above my knees feels a bit much for me.  And it is hard to find a skirt below my knees because I am rather tall for a woman.  Another challenge is, as a science teacher, most of my day is spent running around and climbing on counters.  That means I need something to let me stay cool and look professional and be able to climb on counters.   Skirts for the temperature and bike shorts for the climbing, so it all works out.

Sunday will be on the next post.  I'm still in (homemade) pjs.

Monday:  Peplum Shirt from See Kate Sew

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Tuesday: Rae skirt from Sewaholic


Wednesday:  Sewaholic Princess Seam Top and Simplicity Retro Skirt
My first skirt! And my favorite top!

A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Thursday:  Sorbetto Top from Colette Patterns and Simplicity Skirt made by Mom, also Modified SF shirt
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Friday:  Modified Old Navy Top
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Saturday:  Dahlia dress from Colette
I think this is my most proud moment of the week.  This is the first dress I ever made.  My mom did the hem and neckline (ran out of time, honestly) and I got so many compliments.  Huge success!
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Reflections:  I feel like I need to up my accessory game.  I like my outfits, but they're pretty basic.  I think if I could find a necklace I actually want to wear, that would really bring these together.  Or something to put in my hair.  What I'm thinking is my mom and grandma used to wear necklaces made of beads wrapped in bandannas or scrap fabric.  I think this might be the way to go for me.  Not blingy, I can make the beads any size and it's interchangeable with different scarves or fabric.  I just am such a pragmatic person that I'm completely function over form, so I need to find more joy in it and show that joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...

Me Made May #8: Week Four, Out the Door

Sunday:  (No IG post) Hayden top from Seamwork, see previous posts Monday:  Upcycled Old Navy top Tuesday: Jane Seamwork Top Wednesday: Colette Violet top under Sewaholic Fraser sweatshirt Thursday: Nope Friday: Nope Saturday: Nope Sunday: (No IG post) Hayden top Reflection: This week, I did what I previously thought was impossible: I think I figured out my style.  I'm casual.  The best fit for my style seem to be Seamwork patterns.  I love the magazine, and the basics provided are a stylish basis to grow an outfit via fun fabric choices.  The Hayden top is becoming my go-to dress it up or dress it down look.  There will be more, and I have a Sorbetto top cut out with a big plan for it.  (To come later in its own post). I completely agree with So, Zo on the toughest part of the project:  posting.  I feel like a terrible Millienial because I didn't like posting a photo of myself on Instagram.  I began to really fa...