Skip to main content

Me Made May Post #4: It's Gonna be May

(I meant to post this yesterday, hence the title and past tense.  Whoops.)

So tomorrow begins Me Made May and I'm becoming more excited.  The prep turned less into "MAKE ALL THE THINGS" to "organize my stuff so I can actually see what I have."  Which I was surprised to find was a lot more than I expected.  Which made me really proud of myself and those who have made stuff for me (mostly my mom.) I also spent that time really trying to define my style so I could make outfits I actually want to post on the internet.  I have just started reading a book on capsule wardrobes, and I really think I need to do some major gutting of my fast fashion pieces that were nice in the moment and just ended up degrading quickly or being tossed aside as quickly as they were purchased.

While initially in this process I started a thrift store binge, recently I began looking at my own closet and seeing what I already had and could alter.  I also took a moment and looked through my craft room during our recent major spring cleaning house overhaul and found tons of easy supplies to make some quick mods or projects that needed some little finishing touch, like a sweater vest I started two years ago.  The knitting was done about a month ago, but I had to still do the blocking and edging, so I found some time to do that.  I also found a loom I had bought recently and whipped out a rather cute bracelet that will for sure make an appearance in an outfit shortly. And my first dress is finally finished, which will definitely be worn.

Another big benefit of this process happening now is that it is rather warm here in California.  Like mid 80's.  As a teacher, shorts are not an option so I have to wear my skirts.  Which as any beginning sewist would know make up the bulk of your first projects.

Like I said, during May I will be doing a weekly wrap up post (probably on Sundays) with all my photos of outfits.  They will repeat, as is life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Too Many Interests

There's a saying:  Jack of all trades, master of none.  Which is how I feel more than 90% of the time.  I can do a handful of things fairly well, but I can't do any particular trade particularly well.   What you will see in this blog is a smattering of what I like as well as some family stories mixed in.  This list includes but is not limited to: Drawing Painting Animating Music Sewing Embroidering Crafting Needle felting Knitting Crochet Croquet Food Eating Building Breaking Teaching Dog walking You know, usual stuff.  Tutorials mixed in, one hopes, as well as completed projects.   I can't promise much outside this, but I'll try to amuse you like a sewing, dancing Schnauzer puppy.  Like my Schnauzer puppy.  He amuses me. I might also complain about messing projects up.  That's likely too. No matter what, I'm going to enjoy myself and I hope you do too.

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.