Skip to main content

Me Made May Post 1: Rules, Introductions, Plans

Let's begin this grand experiment.

I have only been sewing for about a year and a half, but in that time, I've begun to amass quite the collection of handmade clothing or hand mended clothing, and I wanted to spend the month of May honestly celebrating that.

So I found this post through Colette Blog last year and I was incredibly inspired, so I'm going to try and do it this year.  The whole point of Me-Made-May is to challenge you to wear things that are usually not the number one choices in your closet, which I desperately need to do, but I also want to use it as a way to really inspire myself to stretch creatively.

But here's the big thing, I am a full time teacher, meaning I don't have a ton of time to consider fully handmade outfits or make extra pieces, so I'm going to make some rules to make this realistic for me to actually have enough pieces to make it through the month. Maybe in the future, I'll take some of the supports out.  That's what we teachers called 'scaffolds' and right now, I need extra support to feel successful.

ME MADE or MOM MADE or ME MODIFIED MAY
1.  One piece of each outfit must be handmade.  It doesn't have to be visible, but it has to be documented.
2.  Pieces made for me by others will count.  I have a ton of clothes my mom made for me, and I know this is a bit of a cheat, but I need the buffer.
3.  I will post every day at least one photo of what I'm wearing to Instagram and will try and post at minimum twice a week on here.  I want to say I'll post here every day, but again, busy time of year.
4.  Modified/mended clothing, shoes and accessories count.  I have some old clothes I fix, resized and  changed.  Also, modified from thrift stores counts too.
5.  Stuff can be sewn, knit, crocheted, tatted, embroidered, whatever.  As long as I did something to it, I can use it.
6.  I can repeat pieces.

Eventually, as I make more stuff, or fix more stuff, I want to change or remove some of these rules.  But as it is, I have to give myself a break so I can enjoy this project/challenge.

I think I can live in these parameters.  Next post I want to do is going about pieces I'm working on in April to prepare for May.

For the sign up for this year's Me Made May, check out the "So, Zo" blog.

me-made-may'17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancĂ© and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancĂ© hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep. Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...