Skip to main content

Me Made May Post 2: Focus on Modifying.

So I've been preparing for Me Made May the best way I know how: organizing, talking and shopping and going on Pinterest.  My goal, honestly, going into May is to modify as much clothing as possible so I have options and, honestly, to save myself money.  Why buy fresh fabric when I can use old pieces in my closet that haven't seen the light of day since college?  Also, in terms of time cost, I think this will be the best way to rejuvenate my wardrobe while still preparing for the month of May.

Now before you think about the post that said this is not about completing a bunch of projects in April to prepare for May, I am simply using this deadline as inspiration.  I am a deadline girl, so I find it to be enough fire under my butt to finally do something.  Also, I've had a big creative burst thanks to a recent Disney trip and I want to channel that energy into something besides paintings.  (If you want to see the paintings though, look here.)

I think my Pinterest habits are going to make it into another post, so for now, let's focus on thrifting and planning.

Thrifting

I have not ever been a big thrift shopper.  I'm no Macklemore, but after I started watching WithWendy, Coolirpa and Annika Victoria on Youtube, I found myself obsessed with going to thrift shops to modify clothes to fit me.  I find their creativity so amazing and inspiring.  Now, here's the thing: even they say thrifting takes forever and it's hit or miss.  That's the part I find hard.  I went shopping last night with a friend with a few projects in mind: I wanted to recreate Annika Victoria's romper from dress project, I wanted to get a denim jacket to add embroidery to, I wanted to get either a cardigan or sweater to add embroidery to and I wanted to get a simple jersey dress.  Needless to say, I got none of those things. A thrift store trip is a crap shoot.  You have to go into it with realistic expectations and an open mind.  Which is tough when you have grand aspirations.  I did get one dress that I do need to modify, so I'm excited about that.  I think it's supposed to be somewhat of a maxi dress for normal sized people, but it hits really well at my mid calf.  I think the biggest hints I could give someone about thrift shopping is go in with an open mind, ignore sizes and just try anything.  Maybe it's just my area, but a lot of the clothing was crazy stupid small on me and there weren't a lot of options in my size.

Overall Planning
My sister created a monster when she showed me how to bullet journal.  I've been tracking my daily accomplishments on it for a bit and last night, I sat down and really considered how much I had done and left to do, which is how I knew what I wanted from the thrift store.  I color code, I list, I journal. And I love it.  Basically, between personal and professional life, it keeps me running.  I think it's also nice to see how much I've actually done and how much I have to work with, which is way more than I thought I had.  I don't realistically know if I'll finish this list, but I know it'll look pretty as I do, which is reason enough.

Organizing is my forte.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...

Me Made May #8: Week Four, Out the Door

Sunday:  (No IG post) Hayden top from Seamwork, see previous posts Monday:  Upcycled Old Navy top Tuesday: Jane Seamwork Top Wednesday: Colette Violet top under Sewaholic Fraser sweatshirt Thursday: Nope Friday: Nope Saturday: Nope Sunday: (No IG post) Hayden top Reflection: This week, I did what I previously thought was impossible: I think I figured out my style.  I'm casual.  The best fit for my style seem to be Seamwork patterns.  I love the magazine, and the basics provided are a stylish basis to grow an outfit via fun fabric choices.  The Hayden top is becoming my go-to dress it up or dress it down look.  There will be more, and I have a Sorbetto top cut out with a big plan for it.  (To come later in its own post). I completely agree with So, Zo on the toughest part of the project:  posting.  I feel like a terrible Millienial because I didn't like posting a photo of myself on Instagram.  I began to really fa...