Skip to main content

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my skirt on.  And what did my mom say to me?  Use a binder clip next time.  THANKS.

Tuesday: Sewaholic Alma blouse
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Between driving my parents to the airport at 4 AM and a full day of teaching, this PJ inspired top felt really nice.
Wednesday:  Retro Simplicity pattern top
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Thursday:  Retro Simplicity pattern skirt, Alma top with Peter Pan collar
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Friday:  Handmade socks
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on

Saturday: Fraser Sweatshirt from Sewaholic
A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on
Reflections:  As this week wore on, I became increasingly less excited about the prospect of wearing home made clothes.  I was so excited when the project started, but just like anything you repeat, as you go, it gets harder and harder and harder to continue.  On top of that, it's been a really tough week at work.  The school year is winding down which means the kids are getting wound up.  Usually, I would be t-shirt and jeans lady by now.  Instead, I have to be blouse and jeans lady.  Luckily, I just got an order from Girl Charlee on Wednesday of assorted cast off jersey.  I am thrilled to make myself some t-shirts from the Jane pattern from Seamwork.

I find myself kind of tired of parts of Me Made May.  I love being inspired to make, I hate posting photos of myself.   I love feeling proud of what I wear, I hate feeling restricted to only a certain part of my wardrobe.  I think I'm also just, as I said before, getting fatigued.  I wish I had done a week challenge at first and then moved on to two weeks and on from there.  I think, as a teacher, this is tougher than I thought it would be.  I know at the end of the month I'll feel really proud of myself, but as of right now, I just want to wear a tshirt and not feel like I have to 'analyze' my style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Plan, Plan, Plan

You know what the best part about this challenge has been so far?   By not shopping this week, my brain is like "Girl, you are crushing this challenge!"   So, I could passively go through a year of not buying clothes and feel good about myself!   BOOM.   But here’s the thing:   looking forward, I'm going to need to do some serious wardrobe consideration.   My jeans are quite a few years old and wearing out in places.   I had a baby a year ago so my body is still changing.   I'm also trying to be more active, so yeah it's going to keep changing.   Plus, I'm rocking the tail end of my 20's, therefore weddings.   Always.   I have three invites for this year alone (one my daughter is going to be a flower girl, exciting!) Basically, the goal for this week was to sit down and figure a few things out. Define my personal style. What pieces do I need? What pieces do I want? How do I get those pieces? STEP NUMBER FUN:   Defining personal style.