Skip to main content

Me Made Maternity Prep 3: Lessons Learned from Last Year

As the day of actually Me Made May approaches, I have begun to reflect more on how I felt after Me Made May last year.  I think, overall, it was a great experience.  I loved showing off my handmade things that maybe I didn't wear as often.  It also pushed my sense of style and how I want to present myself.  Here are a few things that stuck with me that will most definitely impact how I prepped for Me Made May and how I'm going to post this year.

Instagram Selfies, Not for Me
Can you smell the awkward?  Believe it or not, this is NOT the most awkward photo I have from last year.

I really don't like photos of myself.  I don't like what my face often does, I get annoyed with my body and I'm super self conscious.  I like DRAWING self portraits, but not so much PHOTOGRAPHIC self portraits.  Last year for Me Made May, I posted a photo almost every day of my outfits.  It drove me a bit crazy.  If I wanted the whole outfit in the photo, I needed help.  If I did a selfie, I either cut off the top or the bottom, or it just didn't look as professional as I wanted.  When I embarked on this challenge, I made a choice that I still want to document outfits, but not post them to Instagram.  I am going to do a weekly blog round up which will include photos, but not daily photos.

Accessories!
Bill Nye is the best accessory.

Initially, my thoughts about accessories last year were based around laziness.  Like "I don't have anything I feel like wearing, so let's just wear a hand made accessory!  Tehe aren't I clever!"  Weirdly enough, I don't think it turned out this way.  I was pretty good about wearing handmade stuff last year, and not so good about wearing accessories.  Honestly, I felt like there were some outfits I wore that actually could have benefited with a necklace.  Over the past year, I've bought a few materials to make some easy accessories that fit my style so I can stay Me Made and jazz up my outfits a little.  I already made a few patches that I really love, and I have beads and pin backs and all sorts of things to go a little crazy if I want to.  Also, making accessories is a fast and easy way to scratch that crafting itch.

Keeping it Casual
Look at how casual I can be.

While the lovely woven clothes and skirts I made as I learned worked pretty well for work days, the weekends were often more challenging due to my lack of comfortable clothing.  Something I would do would be to wear homemade pajamas the whole day, but that makes going outside rather limiting.  Luckily, I’ve made enough tee shirts this year to allow myself some comfy time.  Plus, I now have a pair of shorts I made and jersey dresses.  I definitely made way more casual pieces, so I have a better chance at not blowing the weekends.

As I tell my students, something is only a mistake if you don't learn from it.  So, hopefully, I'll be able to apply lessons from last year towards this year.  Honestly, I already have been wearing Me Made clothing consistently this week just out of necessity.  Perks of being pregnant.  Besides the feeling just squished into my own body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Me Made May 2019 Post 2: Finding Fabric

Look at me, progressing with actually sewing something!  I think the moral of my story is have someone to keep you accountable, like a mom.  Every mom needs a mom. This was my daughter's first time in the magical place that is Joann's Fabric, and it turns out my kid as she is right now rocks at errands.  Frankly, she's more patient than me.  I don't think it hurts that she was complimented by I think just about everyone.  I had done some research on Joanns.com before we went to the store, so that is a huge plus.  I knew I wanted some light weight fabric for the peplum top and something kind of linen-y for the playsuit. I knew white withe some kind of embroidery was what I wanted for the top, but I hadn't decided what it would look like, and I saw some navy light weight embroidered fabric that I fell madly in love with.  The issue was that fabric was not really in the direction that worked best for the pattern, so I landed on this floral embroidered white fabric

Too Many Interests

There's a saying:  Jack of all trades, master of none.  Which is how I feel more than 90% of the time.  I can do a handful of things fairly well, but I can't do any particular trade particularly well.   What you will see in this blog is a smattering of what I like as well as some family stories mixed in.  This list includes but is not limited to: Drawing Painting Animating Music Sewing Embroidering Crafting Needle felting Knitting Crochet Croquet Food Eating Building Breaking Teaching Dog walking You know, usual stuff.  Tutorials mixed in, one hopes, as well as completed projects.   I can't promise much outside this, but I'll try to amuse you like a sewing, dancing Schnauzer puppy.  Like my Schnauzer puppy.  He amuses me. I might also complain about messing projects up.  That's likely too. No matter what, I'm going to enjoy myself and I hope you do too.