Skip to main content

Me Made Maternity Prep 3: Lessons Learned from Last Year

As the day of actually Me Made May approaches, I have begun to reflect more on how I felt after Me Made May last year.  I think, overall, it was a great experience.  I loved showing off my handmade things that maybe I didn't wear as often.  It also pushed my sense of style and how I want to present myself.  Here are a few things that stuck with me that will most definitely impact how I prepped for Me Made May and how I'm going to post this year.

Instagram Selfies, Not for Me
Can you smell the awkward?  Believe it or not, this is NOT the most awkward photo I have from last year.

I really don't like photos of myself.  I don't like what my face often does, I get annoyed with my body and I'm super self conscious.  I like DRAWING self portraits, but not so much PHOTOGRAPHIC self portraits.  Last year for Me Made May, I posted a photo almost every day of my outfits.  It drove me a bit crazy.  If I wanted the whole outfit in the photo, I needed help.  If I did a selfie, I either cut off the top or the bottom, or it just didn't look as professional as I wanted.  When I embarked on this challenge, I made a choice that I still want to document outfits, but not post them to Instagram.  I am going to do a weekly blog round up which will include photos, but not daily photos.

Accessories!
Bill Nye is the best accessory.

Initially, my thoughts about accessories last year were based around laziness.  Like "I don't have anything I feel like wearing, so let's just wear a hand made accessory!  Tehe aren't I clever!"  Weirdly enough, I don't think it turned out this way.  I was pretty good about wearing handmade stuff last year, and not so good about wearing accessories.  Honestly, I felt like there were some outfits I wore that actually could have benefited with a necklace.  Over the past year, I've bought a few materials to make some easy accessories that fit my style so I can stay Me Made and jazz up my outfits a little.  I already made a few patches that I really love, and I have beads and pin backs and all sorts of things to go a little crazy if I want to.  Also, making accessories is a fast and easy way to scratch that crafting itch.

Keeping it Casual
Look at how casual I can be.

While the lovely woven clothes and skirts I made as I learned worked pretty well for work days, the weekends were often more challenging due to my lack of comfortable clothing.  Something I would do would be to wear homemade pajamas the whole day, but that makes going outside rather limiting.  Luckily, I’ve made enough tee shirts this year to allow myself some comfy time.  Plus, I now have a pair of shorts I made and jersey dresses.  I definitely made way more casual pieces, so I have a better chance at not blowing the weekends.

As I tell my students, something is only a mistake if you don't learn from it.  So, hopefully, I'll be able to apply lessons from last year towards this year.  Honestly, I already have been wearing Me Made clothing consistently this week just out of necessity.  Perks of being pregnant.  Besides the feeling just squished into my own body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep. Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...