Skip to main content

Me Made Maternity 4: Antici...pation

My final stages of getting excited and prepping and drawing to a close.  My mom made some dresses and they have been hemmed, I'm snipping loose threads from my new skirt and ironing some other stuff to prep for this month.  I'm actually becoming excited, and it's all thanks to elasticated waistbands and dresses.

Dude, straight talk: I'm in love with elastic waistbands in clothing.  Luckily, I've made a ton of skirts with them as a main feature over the past few years.

Now you may be thinking: where did this sudden epiphany come from?  I've been transitioned into maternity pants now for about a month and my bump has just gotten to the point where I really can't wear anything but maternity pants.  The only downside is a maternity pant with panels kind of tends to slide down and can get awfully uncomfortable throughout the day.  Luckily, I know have lots of elastic waistband skirts thanks to making them throughout the year (and when they stretch out, I'll just redo the elastic) and I've invested in leggings and shorts to wear underneath for teaching reasons. 

All things considered, Me Made May this year is going well thanks to help from my mom and straight up maternity wear necessity.  I'm pretty excited to wear some of these upcoming pieces:
My first pencil skirt! 

Such comfy dress...so excite.

And fits well too!
So the project begins tomorrow.  As for right now, I'm hopeful.  We'll see how this goes...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Make Stuff: I Make Popcorn

This reflection comes from a series of facebook posts by my family.  And with all things, because I am one hell of a defensive human being, I’m going to give a little context. My fiancé and I rarely eat at home.   We both work full time, and for a teacher that means 11+ hour days every weekday.   I get home around 6-6:30, and he gets home around the same time.   Generally, the best we can do is pop something frozen in the microwave a rock what I like to call fancy hotdogs.   What are fancy hot dogs?   The nicer sausages at safeway that have stuff in them.   Like apples or mangoes or your hopes and dreams.   The usual.   As a woman, people began to give me a little grief that I couldn’t “Take care of my home.”   Did my fiancé hear this?   Not sure, he doesn’t talk much.   However, I will always bow to societal pressure, so I started making dinner on Sunday nights because we had a little more time and it left me a ...

My 2020 Vision

I think the word I want to use as my mantra this year is Sustainable. Not just in the green sense of the word, but maintaining good habits. All holiday, my heart has been breaking over new about wildfires in Australia and it reminds me that the new reality here in California is the same with semi annual wildfires.  I want to make changes to help the environment, but they need to be sustainable as well as sustainable...oh man that wordplay cuts me deep. Anyway, I started with some soul searching. A few changes I've already made are to use period panties and menstrual cups. I also started using a reusable straw a little last year, but maintaining that habit has proven tricky. I also was using an imperfect produce system, but we weren't eating stuff fast enough due to time constraints. There's also other changes I could make, but here's the thing: a lot of the rhetoric around sustainable lifestyles is changing habits and they ignore the privilege that involves. As a parent...

We Make Things: Intro

I come from a family of makers, so when I began writing down stories of them, I figured writing what they made was the most sensible.  The DIY trend was not a trend for me in my life, it is my life.   My mother comes by the making rather naturally.   Both of my maternal grandparents were Midwestern children of the depression, and making items was useful as well as necessary.   They were incredibly resourceful people, a trait which they passed down to their children.   On my father’s side, I think my grandparents were makers for pleasure.   My grandmother doodled and wrote all her life, and had the creative clean chaos in her home that I so understand as an adult.   I’m not sure about my grandfather.   From stories passed down through my family, I know he was handy, but I’m not sure how well he was handy.   The evidence of this is the deck in my parents’ back yar...