Skip to main content

Me Made Maternity Week 4 Wrap Up

Monday:  Seamwork Jane tie front shirt in blue stripes from Joann's
No photo, busy day

You know what I find interesting: I have been on Instagram looking at outfits for other sewists rocking their #mmmay looks, and I have been reusing so many pieces this year.  I am super impressed with those who can make and wear a whole bunch of stuff, but my time right now does not allow it.  And you know what: I'm actually really happy with the repeats.  I feel like I haven't styled them the exact same way every time, like trying out different bottoms with the tops or different accessories.  I think, however, that I do need to branch outside of jeans a little and mix up skirts some more.  I think, especially at this time of year for teachers, it is super easy to get caught doing the same look.
Tuesday:  Butterick slacks by mom in grey stretch from Joann's
Again, no photo, busy day. 

Again, I wish these pants had pockets, but I'm really feeling how I can dress them up or down.  We have some more coming soon, and it's all good.  Again, I like the versatility of the pieces I have for this year, so there are a lot of repeat offenders, but I'm totally fine with that as my brain is hardly functioning due to life.

Wednesday: Butterick maternity top by Mom


This top is perfect for the changing weather.  We're starting to roll into warmer weather, so these light cotton tops are comfortable and easy.  They skim away from the body, and so can allow the breeze to move around underneath.  And the color works on me, and I actually like the cap sleeve thing going on.


Thursday and Friday:  Nope

Ok, here's the thing: we had to have the pipes that connect our house to the city water replaced this day.  Which means there was no water in our house, so we stayed at my in-laws house.  I took the teeniest bag with me, so I packed it with as little clothing as possible, which mean just a few shirts.  My original plan for this day was a green dress I had made because that would be perfect for the last rally, but besides the packing last minute and rushing, we were also doing messy stuff in class, so I decided that it would be better to wear messy clothes, which also ruled out my hand made stuff.  While I do wear it often, I also want to keep it in as good condition as possible.  This week ended up a bit of a bust just due to personal and professional reasons making it rather tricky.  The way I know I had a rough week was Saturday, my husband and I actually slept in, as did our dog.  When Zuko is tired...the world is tired.

Weekend including Monday:  HA!  Nope. 

Reflection:  I remember last year, I felt like May was the worst time for me for this challenge, which is entirely selfish.  May for teachers is the December of everyone else.  We have the most to do, and somehow life will also dump on us a bit because why not?  However, I like this challenge.  It makes me consider what I wear and how I wear it.  It's not the challenge's fault that when it rains, it pours.  Luckily, we're rolling into the last week of the challenge and the last week of school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Me Made May 2019 Post 2: Finding Fabric

Look at me, progressing with actually sewing something!  I think the moral of my story is have someone to keep you accountable, like a mom.  Every mom needs a mom. This was my daughter's first time in the magical place that is Joann's Fabric, and it turns out my kid as she is right now rocks at errands.  Frankly, she's more patient than me.  I don't think it hurts that she was complimented by I think just about everyone.  I had done some research on Joanns.com before we went to the store, so that is a huge plus.  I knew I wanted some light weight fabric for the peplum top and something kind of linen-y for the playsuit. I knew white withe some kind of embroidery was what I wanted for the top, but I hadn't decided what it would look like, and I saw some navy light weight embroidered fabric that I fell madly in love with.  The issue was that fabric was not really in the direction that worked best for the pattern, so I landed on this floral embroidered white fabric