Skip to main content

Me Made May Maternity Wrap Up Week 2

Monday:  Rae skirt from last week with Old Navy maternity top

I had to dress this one up fro work as I was presenting at a showcase.  The good news is that skirt can dress up, down and all around town.  I wasn't as thrilled with the proportions, especially in the photo they took of me at the event.  It just made me say mentally "OH MAMA AM I PREGGERS."  I did get a lot of compliments on it, weirdly enough.  And my presentation went well.

I forgot to download the photo from my work email, so c’est la vie.

Tuesday:  Butterick maternity dress in polka dot fabric, also by Mom



I love this dress and this pattern.  I will wear it for as long as I can.  Initially, the polka dots did not thrill me as much as the as thoroughly as the floral (I may be obsessed with floral prints) but I like how it turned out.  I also packed up the drawers of my desk in the nursery, as the desk will be moving out this week.  Kind of a weird feeling to be wearing handmade clothes and purging your craft supplies at the same time.  If I say I need markers, I'm lying.  Or I've had a really rough day, and just let me get one more set of markers please?

Wednesday:  Seamwork Jane in blue stripes from Joann's



Just yesterday, I thought to myself "Man, all my maternity clothes are super feminine."  This pattern could go masculine or feminine, so it makes this outfit a bit of a breath of fresh air for me.  Feminine and masculine are things I love to balance in my clothing, and I was feeling a bit too girly for my own good.  I also love this shirt because it's the tie front Jane again!  I love this pattern and how playful and functional it is.  I have fabric for one more and, no surprise here, it's floral.

Thursday:  Rue dress in tribal jersey print from Girl Charlee

The photo doesn’t show the whole dress, but most importantly, I got my Frappechino.  Momma loves a Frappechino.

This is my favorite dress. This is the first jersey dress I made and it has pockets and just is so comfy.  It's not fitting as well as it did before the bump, but dresses are the best things.  I told a coworker today that I find myself wearing way more dresses now that I ever did before.  Being pregnant has just made me dress more feminine, as I said before.  I wonder how gender-queer folk deal with pregnancy due to the sheer amount of only feminine clothes available in maternity.

Friday: Colette Sorbetto in peach quilting cotton from Joann's

The plus side of being pregnant is some tops I made last summer that were somewhat too big, fit rather well now.  This morning, I was going to go for my safe choice, which was another, older version of my Jane shirt.  I was having a rather bad case of leg cramps due to many reasons while being pregnant.  I wanted to wear a pair of comfortable tennis shoes, but they didn't really match the look I was going for with my Jane top.  I decided to try out a top that I don't think I've worn out of the house before that I made to try and create a matching set to kind of look like a romper or onesie.  I want to love rompers, but I love peeing more.

I didn’t get a photo of this one due to feeling crummy thanks to allergies, as well as being busy with my husband and his cousin’s families.  Cute kids trump online self imposed challenges any day.

Bonus Weekend
Saturday was mostly working around the house (including cleaning out and downsizing crafts and fabric, yikes), so no handmade clothes were worn that day.  Sunday however, I did get my bonus day. As it is Mother’s Day, we spent the morning doing things I wanted, the afternoon with my family and the evening with his family.  My mom wanted to go to the Rose Garden by our house and so I rocked my Jane tie front shirt in the rose pattern.  Plus, it’s comfy.  Now, I will post this photo even though I find it just frustrating and not flattering.  I think I may actually lean into the roushed sides of shirts.  It makes me look skinnier by making me look more pregnant.  Yes, that makes sense I promise.

Reflections

  • I've never felt more feminine in my life than wearing maternity clothes, which is weird for me as I feel like my gender identity has never been fully qualified as feminine so it's felt weird.  
  • I never understood why my mom made things all over-sized, but now I get it.  Going through having three kids meant her body changed daily for about five years.  Making things a little bit big means I can wear it later and not feel terrible.
  • Kids are more important than challenges.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May 6: Week Two is Through

Sunday:  Agnes Top from Tilly and the Buttons Casual Sunday #agnestop #tillyandthebuttons #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #iactuallywentawholeweek A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 7, 2017 at 12:43pm PDT Monday: Rae Skirt in polyester #Raeskirt what you don't see is the paper clips holding the skirt up since the elastic broke #mmmay17 #memademay2017 #sulerstar A post shared by The Shreve (and Carvalho) (@nestingdollsofscience) on May 8, 2017 at 4:39pm PDT So I have learned a lot by making mistakes and cutting corners.  The corner I cut?  I didn't sew the elastic together strongly enough.  Now, why this is often not an issue, at a certain point, it'll come apart if put under enough stress on the seam.  Or any stress.  Or just over time.  So...the elastic came apart first thing Monday morning.  Didn't have enough time to fix or a sewing kit.  What did I do?  Paper clip my skirt on.  Yup.  I paperclipped my ski

Me Made May 2019 Post 1: Finding Patterns

Let's start with the peplum clone and how that's going so far.    I have seen some videos about cloning a garment (from WithWendy and AnnikaVictoria ) and so I have some idea of copying a shirt without destroying it.   HOWEVER, most tutorials are based around knit garments, and this garment is made of woven fabric.   The biggest issue with this is cloning a knit garment is easy because shaping is less of an issue.   Stretch is forgiving, so you can kind of wing it.   Woven material is 2D, so shaping it to 3D takes a couple techniques that can be hard to replicate.   It's got bust darts. It's got gathers on the bottom. I think to make an accurate copy, I'd have to cute the top apart, but the fabric is so thin, this might not be the best idea.   The first thing I did was call my mom.   Moms are important, and she tends to be a fount of sewing wisdom.   I told her about the issues with cloning, and she came up with some ideas.   The plan was to

Me Made May 2019 Post 2: Finding Fabric

Look at me, progressing with actually sewing something!  I think the moral of my story is have someone to keep you accountable, like a mom.  Every mom needs a mom. This was my daughter's first time in the magical place that is Joann's Fabric, and it turns out my kid as she is right now rocks at errands.  Frankly, she's more patient than me.  I don't think it hurts that she was complimented by I think just about everyone.  I had done some research on Joanns.com before we went to the store, so that is a huge plus.  I knew I wanted some light weight fabric for the peplum top and something kind of linen-y for the playsuit. I knew white withe some kind of embroidery was what I wanted for the top, but I hadn't decided what it would look like, and I saw some navy light weight embroidered fabric that I fell madly in love with.  The issue was that fabric was not really in the direction that worked best for the pattern, so I landed on this floral embroidered white fabric